Our tagline is Where Relaxation Is Just The Beginning. During the holiday season, we can often find ourselves in such a frenetic state to meet everyone elses needs that our own get shoved way to the end of the list. Relaxation feels like only a fantasy.
Here are some gentle reminders to restore and replenish offered by Dr. Paula Bloom, Clinical Psychologist and host of PBS This Emotional Life.
- Take care of yourself. Just because you are going to parties and gatherings it doesnt mean that you have to throw all healthy behaviors out the window. Eating a healthy meal prior to going to an event can help you be less tempted to eat foods that make you feel less energetic. Stay consistent with your exercise schedule and sleep patterns (assuming they are healthy ones!)
- Evaluate obligations. Just because it is something you have always done or a place you have always gone to doesnt mean you have to do it this year. It is okay to say no. No. can actually be a complete sentence. Consider it part of your preventative health (mental and physical) care plan.
- Spirituality. Focus on the spiritual aspects of the holidays versus the commercial ones. What do you want the holidays to mean?
- Family. There is a lot of pressure (just watch any hour of tv with commercials during this time) to spend time with family, gathered around a lovely table, smiling, and sharing warm memories! Not everyone has those kinds of family experiences and it is okay. Spend time with people you enjoy. Remember that friends can be the family you choose.
- Create your own traditions that work for you! It may be going away during the holidays or spending time volunteering to help others. I know someone who volunteers to provide coverage at the hospital during the holidays. She enjoys being able to help her colleagues who are then very grateful. This gives her a sense of purpose, a way to help patients during this time and an excuse to not have to attend stressful gatherings.
- Just another day. You have 365 opportunities in a year to make a day special and meaningful. Dont limit yourself by thinking it is only possible during these few in December.